Friday, February 2, 2018

Meaningless and pointless

Advertisement for Sage fishing reels, BBC Website
(Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42884631)

I was on the BBC website a few days ago looking at an article about FujiXerox laying off 10,000 workers in its photocopier division and I saw the above advertisement.

I don't fish. I don't own a fishing rod. I have fished perhaps 10 times in my entire life. I saw this ad for a Sage fly fishing reel and had no idea what the product was. The term, "one revolution sealed carbon drag" was completely meaningless to me. At first glance it looked like a automobile wheel.

It was not until I clicked through to the Sage website that I discovered what was being advertised.

I had no interest in fishing before, I have even less interest now. But, because I clicked on the advertisement I suspect that my browsing will now be filled with advertisements for fishing gear.

A waste of advertising space for the BBC and an appallingly poor example of advertising targeting.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home