Friday, February 13, 2015

From the evoked set to the revoked set

Musette Caffe, Vancouver, BC

One of the key concepts in consumer behaviour is the "evoked set". This is the group of brands that a consumer will associate with a particular category of product.

When I explain this concept in class I often use the category of sports car. I ask students for the automobile marques that come to mind when I mention sports cars. The brands that they come up with are not unexpected; Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, BMW, Audi etc. (And often in that order.)

But in thinking about this, I began to wonder about the opposite reaction. The brands that consumers exclude from the category. The exclusion may be based on perception or past experience.

I was teaching a Hospitality Marketing class and used a coffee example to explore this. I like good coffee, and will go out of my way to patronize establishments that serve a nice cup.

If I'm looking for a latte my "evoked set" includes Musette Caffe, Blenz, Waves, Cafe Artegiano, and the award-winning Bowen Island Coffee Roasting Company.

And my "revoked set"? McDonald's and Starbucks are inhabitants of my "revoked set". I've tried their wares and found them lacking.

I'll go out of my way to buy a coffee at one of the shops in my "evoked set" and would generally go without rather than get a coffee from one of the places in my "revoked set".

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home