Monday, June 15, 2015

Who will win this battle?

President's Choice and Life Brand meal replacements, Shoppers Drug Mart, Cambie Street, Vancouver, BC
I guess that I should have seen this day coming. The purchase of Shoppers Drug Mart by Loblaw opened up hundreds of new outlets for the Loblaw private label products. While the Life name is a great fit for health-related products such as over the counter (OTC) drugs, vitamins, and similar products, the Shoppers Drug Mart house-brand foods were spectacularly ordinary in quality.

This is the first time I've seen President's Choice and Life Brand going head to head in the same category at a Shoppers Drug Mart store. The price is the same, but the President's Choice packaging has a bit more presence on the shelf.

I predict that in the health categories Life may survive as a brand, but President's Choice and No Name will take over in all of the food categories. What will happen in this category, somewhat of a crossroads between food and drugs, is a bit of a guess. I'd still put my money on President's Choice. Shoppers Drug Mart was purchased by Loblaw, and that tells me everything I need to know.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home