Tuesday, April 21, 2015

You have the data, why are you not paying attention and using it?

Spotify Logo
(Source: http://www.googlexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/spotify-logo-primary-horizontal-dark-background-rgb_0.jpg)
When I'm working I like to listen to music. Classical and jazz are my current favourites while I'm writing. Baroque or early Classical is great. Or if I'm picking composers,. Vivaldi, Handel, or Mozart are usually good choices.

Yesterday I was listening to the Handel stream on Spotify and an advertisement came on. No problem with that. Spotify has to pay for the performance rights and the artists deserve compensation for their music being used.

But why did I get an advertisement for Rihanna? What do the average Handel listener and the average Rihanna listener have in common? I don't see the two as interchangeable in any way.

Spotify has the data, the firm knows what I'm listening to, so why not use it? The Rihanna advertisement just struck me as sloppy. Or are there so few listeners to the classical streams that it is not worth even trying to develop appropriate advertisements?

Either way it does not bode well for the future of Spotify.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home