Friday, February 1, 2013

Why doesn't Oracle like Google?

Install screen for Java update
This afternoon I was told that I had to update Java. Yes, my computer is one of the 3 billion devices worldwide that runs Java.

So, why does Oracle recommend that I install the "Browser Add-on from Ask" and make "Ask my default search provider"?

According to the rankings on Alexa.com, Ask.com is 24th in web traffic in the USA and 50th in web traffic worldwide. Do any other search engines get more hits?

In worldwide web traffic Google is number 1 (Google.com), number 14 (Google.in), number 19 (Google.co.jp), number 23 (Google.de), number 24 (Google.com.hk), number 26 (Google.co.uk), and number 27 (Google.fr).

So why does Oracle recommend what is obviously people's second or third choice? Is Google that much of a threat to Oracle? That must be the perception at Oracle HQ.

But does Oracle serious think that people will try and like Ask? I tried AskJeeves.com about 15 years ago and it was interesting, but not really competition for the quality of Google, and today it is even less competition.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home