Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Penguins are animals? Penguins have fur?


I have read thousands of books to my daughter. (3,144 different books to be precise.) I have reasonable expectations. If the book purports to be non-fiction it should be accurate. If the book is fiction then I expect the story to hold my interest.
This book, Frosty Friends from Priddy Books, is about animals from cold places.
At the risk of being pedantic, I have two problems with this book.
  1. Penguins are not animals, they are birds (The book also includes a photograph of an Owl, also not an animal.)
  2. Penguins, and all other birds, have feathers NOT fur
Is there any excuse for this sort of inaccuracy? None that I can think of.
Am I just being ridiculously picky? I don't think so. The publisher uses the tag line, "big ideas for little people". A big idea, especially one aimed at children, should not be one that gives inaccurate information.
So, I'll just keep on being pedantic until it is made illegal.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home