Wednesday, December 6, 2017

How the times have changed

I love cricket, but living in Canada I don't get as much opportunity to enjoy it as I might like. I have been following the 2017/2018 Ashes series in Australia.

The Ashes series are cricket matches between Australia and England. The "Ashes" are reputed to be the remains of a burnt cricket bail. The series is made up of five test matches, each five days in length.

Anyway, the Ashes are on again. The first test was in Brisbane. Australia won it easily. The second test finished on December 6th in Adelaide. Australia won it by 120 runs, another handy victory.

My youngest brother was at the final day of the test in Adelaide and sent me some photos from his iPhone.

The Ashes, second test second innings. England batting against Australia, Adelaide Oval, South Australia
(December 6, 2017)

It was down to the last wicket and so he called me up and he delivered a "FaceTime" broadcast of the final five minutes of play.

This is how much we take technology for granted. 80 years ago to hear a live radio broadcast would have been remarkable. 60 years ago a television broadcast of the match would have been an achievement. 30 years ago a telephone call from the match was the leading end of technology. Now I can get my own personal broadcast of the closing minute of the test match. (Well, narrowcast actually since it was to an audience of one.)


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home