Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Sometimes a "bike" is not a "bike"

I ride a "bike". I own a couple of "bikes". I expect to see advertisements for things "bike-related" when I am on-line. Sometimes they are useful, but many times they are not.

Advertisement for Eagle Riders Rentals & Tours, BBC website
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42135963

The problem is that the kind of "bike" that I ride has nothing whatsoever to do with the type of "bike" that this firm is offering to rent. I ride a Norco road bicycle and a Rocky Mountain mountain bicycle. I do not ride a motorcycle and do not have a license to ride a motorcycle.

I have been seeing these advertisements on-line for a few months. (This one was on the BBC News website.) I've never clicked on one and probably never will.

Another piece of poorly targeted advertising, in this case driven by an algorithm that is too dumb to know the difference between a bicycle and a motorcycle.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home