Monday, November 27, 2017

Why do I see Spanish?


I am a member of Science World in Vancouver. there are now signs up at Science World that tell you that it takes only 2.5 visits to pay for a membership. (I go more than 2.5 times per year.) The best part of having a membership is that you don't feel obliged to go for the whole day. If your young companion is feeling bit knackered after an hour or so then you can just leave and you re not out of pocket.

My daughter loves math and when we were downtown on Sunday she saw an advertisement on the SkyTrain for this exhibit, so we went.
Logo of Math Moves! exhibition
Source: https://www.scienceworld.ca/math-moves

I was a bit perplexed by the induction of Spanish on the signs.

Sign on exhibit, Math Moves, Science World, Vancouver, BC

I enquired with the staff and they told me that exhibit had been produced by a museum in Minnesota.


Logo for the Science Museum of Minnesota
Source: https://www.scienceworld.ca/math-moves

Given the large number of Spanish-speakers in the United States, the inclusion of Spanish on the signs is not really a surprise. No downside to having an extra language on the signs. Gives me a chance to brush up on my nonexistent Spanish.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home