Saturday, January 2, 2016

A short walk from the sublime to the ridiculous

Maxim's on rue Royale, 8th arrondissement, Paris, France (1990)

McDonald's on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, 8th arrondissement, Paris, France (1990)
I've been digging through some old photos and found these two photographs that I took in Paris in January 1990. 

Located about a kilometre apart, in Paris' very upmarket 8th arrondissement, you will find Maxim's and McDonald's. I was rather surprised that McDonald's could secure such a prominent location on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées. I was dismayed, but not really shocked that the restaurant was busy. Packed with tourists and teenagers.

Despite the wealth of superior food available, often at the same or even lower prices, McDonald's conquest of the world has continued unabated since 1990.

While in Paris I did dine well, but didn't have the time or budget for Maxim's. Perhaps on a subsequent trip Maxim's will might make onto my itinerary. 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home