Monday, August 17, 2015

Back from obscurity

Heinz Ketchup bottle with Trivial Pursuit game (Front)

Heinz Ketchup bottle with Trivial Pursuit game (Reverse)

In the days before Google and smartphones, it was sometime hard to find the answers to trivial questions. And hence the 1980s hit game Trivial Pursuit.

Today, I find students are using their phones to both satisfy their curiosity and find the answers to questions that arise in class.

And so has a good memory and a grasp on trivia become unnecessary, or at least unappreciated?

Students are surprised by the stuff I remember, but then I am surprised at the pop culture that they know.

For me the interesting outcome will be what from today will be important or remembered  in 100 years. I don't hold out much hope for the longevity of anything or anyone connected to "reality" TV.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home