Saturday, May 4, 2013

Now for lease (And it used to be a Blenz)

"For Lease" sign at a former Blenz location, Cambie Street, Vancouver

Last year I wrote about this Blenz location. The furniture looked a bit shabby and I wondered if Blenz was doing enough work to maintain the quality of its franchisees. I also noted that while this coffee shop was usually never more than 1/3 full, the Starbucks up the street was always standing room only.

Well, something has come home to roost. Since my last visit to Vancouver, this Blenz location has closed. I can't say that I'm very surprised. But it is one of those vicious circles. Sales are down so in an effort to save money you let maintenance slip a bit. The customers notice that the place is a bit shabby, and they make their purchases elsewhere, and then next thing you know the business has failed and the vacant premises is up for rent.

It just goes to reinforce the critical lesson. Retail is all about details and you ignore then at your peril.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home