Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pedantic for a living

Entry panel at Maple Leaf Self Storage
I don't know if being pedantic is an inherited genetic characteristic, or a learned behaviour. But either way I freely admit to being a pedant, as do more than a few family members.

I saw this sign and entry keypad at a Maple Leaf Self Storage location in Vancouver. If you look at the top (white text on the blue background) you will see that sign instructs you to press the key with the five pointed star. However, that is not what you see on the keyboard down below.
Keypad at Maple Leaf Self Storage
On the keypad the star has six points. So, should I use the key with the six pointed star, or look for the five pointed star? And if the difference between five and six does not matter, then why do I have to be accurate when I enter my security code.

Yes, I am being overly pedantic, but I do have a purpose. If you give your customers instructions and demand that they follow them to the letter, then make sure that those instructions are accurate. This sort of petty inconsistencies drives people crazy. And the sad thing is that it is SO easy to get it right. You just have to care.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home