Monday, August 27, 2012

I'm confused, and I have lots of experience


Canadian Blood Services netCAD logo Source: http://cbr.ubc.ca/facilities/netcad/
I am a regular blood donor and have been since my final year of secondary school. (I've donated over 300 times.)

Since the 1980s I've been doing Apherisis donations. Whole blood contains four components; red cells, white cells, platelets, and plasma. These days I'm donating platelets. I was donating for transfusions, but there is a surplus of my platelet type and I'm also CMV positive. (CMV is cytomegalovirus and while trivial for healthy adults, CMC can be deadly for infants and people with a compromised immune system.)

So, I want to keep donating blood and I now donating at the netCAD site at the University of British Columbia. Among other things, the researchers are trying to find ways to extend the shelf life of platelet donations beyond their current five days. Certain drugs can affect the performance of platelets and so before I donate the nurses want to make sure that I have not taken any drugs that will affect the platelets.

Below is part of the text of an email that I received as both a reminder about my appointment and a warning about the drugs that I was not permitted to take prior to donating.

Please note the following reminders:
  1. Do not take any anti-inflammatory or pain-killing medication (e.g. Ibuprofen, Advil or Motrin) 24 hours before your appointment.
  2. Do not take any medication containing aspirin (e.g. ASA), naproxen (e.g. Aleve) or Ketorolac 72 hours before your appointment.
  3. Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) and Celebrex are acceptable any time. If you are unsure, Please contact the clinic.
Eat a good meal before your appointment (please avoid high fat foods) and increase your calcium intake.

Now I may be a bit thick, but the first point and the third point seem to contradict one another. Isn't Acetaminophen a "pain-killing medication". And I'm pretty sure that Celebrex is an "anti-inflamatory".


This confusion is likely to result in people taking drugs that will affect the quality of their donation. And that is never a good thing.  

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home